AuschwitzPage 1234 BirkenauPage 123 Other Plaszów
Page two >>

On 27 February 1942 Rudolf Höss, the architect Karl Bischoff and Hans Kammler, head of the Central SS Buildings Office had a meeting at which they decided to move the location of crematorium that had been planned for Auschwitz to the new camp at Birkenau.

Birkenau emerged from the mud just under 3 kilometres from Auschwitz main camp. In one prisoners did what they could to survive by scheming and 'organising' additional food; in the other, men women and children were murdered within hours of arriving.